NTOA Forums Strategic Leadership General Leadership What is your Definition of Leadership?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      mmWayne Griffin
      Participant

I believe leadership is the ability to bring together a group of individuals to accomplish a common task or goal. Good leaders have to be timely with their decision making. A good leader knows that there is a time to listen and a time to lead. Some of the best ideas may come from listening to their subordinates. I think praise should always be given to an individual that constructs a great idea, and the leader should take blame when things don’t work out as planned.

Anthony Kies
      Participant

My definition of leadership isn’t measured by the ability to supervise or manage. Leadership to me is the ability to resolve problems with minimal damages to an organization and allow employee’s to feel heard. Leadership is being able to understand and know that the failure to not make a decision or take action with personnel will cause more issues than dealing with the problem. Leadership is a constant learning process for me and I believe that it takes ongoing training to continue to be a great leader. Leadership is what will define an organization when times are tough and how we respond to adversity. Being able to keep your ship afloat, keeping moral up and leading by example will drive your leadership abilities forward. The worst thing someone can do who is trying to be a great leader or push leadership is fail to listen or be distracted. This will be recognized immediately and will fail what you are trying to accomplish.

Jeffrey Brown
      Participant

The short answer is: leadership is the ability to cause subordinates to perform a task. They may cause the subordinate to perform a task through fear or through inspiration, or through leading by example. The best leaders are able to cause subordinates to perform more or better than they believe they are capable of doing. The task may be menial or dangerous or important, a good leader will inspire his personnel to complete the task or mission. My best leaders have always led by example and from the front.

mmJacob Taylor
      Participant

Leadership is the ability to motivate or direct a group of individuals to a common goal(s). This also involves mentoring, instructing, and enabling them to get things done. As said in a previous post, being a good example is critical and will keep morale high. The best leadership I have served with has been consistent, fair, and put their people first.

Max Yakovlev
      Participant

My definition of leadership has changes from the time I started this program. I didnt come up with this either, Ryan Holiday did.

As a leader when you face a hard time situation….
      1st, apply courage
      2nd, apply moderation/temperance
      3rd, apply justice/kindness/fairness
      4th, apply wisdom and knowledge

Where I am in life..that is leadership.

mmChris Eklund
      Participant

Leadership is a presentation of confidence, competence, courage, and charisma. Leadership must place the interests of the mission and of those being led at the forefront. There is no place for someone with only self interests in a leadership role.

Jon Thompson
      Participant

The definition I most relate to is the ability to get either an individual or a group of people focused on a common goal and achieving that goal, despite obstacles or questions, or even doubts as to the likelihood to succeed in that goal. Good followership is, in my opinion, the best indicator of good leadership.

Jesse Laintz
      Participant

What is your Definition of Leadership?

I am going to steal Colin Powell’s definition because I think it gets down to foundation of what leadership is. “Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership.”

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.