Moving Home Page Forums Strategic Leadership General Leadership What are Your Greatest Leadership Strengths?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      mmWayne Griffin
      Participant

I believe that my greatest leadership strengths are honesty and trust. Without these two things, you can not and will not be an effective leader. There are many other leadership qualities that a good leader should possess, but for me these two are the most important.

Anthony Kies
      Participant

I would have to say that my greatest leadership strengths would be the ability to work side by side with those who I supervise. Just as I have learned throughout much of tactical leadership module to now the operational leadership module there is much difference between supervision and leadership. I believe that I have the ability to listen to my employee’s and allow them to freely communicate upwards just as we do downward. Showing them that we realize in this profession there are ups and downs especially being able to relate to similar flaws that they have done and showing them that you can overcome anything and I am here to help them in anyway I can. I don’t ask them to do anything that I myself wouldn’t do, however I have no problem explaining to them that in fact the reason I need them to accomplish a specific task might be because they can do it better than I and that’s okay. I believe that I know my/our limitations are allow my team to know what my limitations are which shows the importance of the team and that it can’t be done without all of us working together.

One of the greatest things I believe I use daily as a leadership strength is the ability to communicate. I am very forward on my expectation and I believe that I should know what my subordinates expectation are of myself. I keep an open communication with all of them.

Jeffrey Brown
      Participant

I believe swat officers are more inspired by leaders who do not hesitate to get down in the dust with the operators. They know a leader who is willing to sweat it out with them, no matter what the task, is someone they will likely want to follow. No one really cares what you have done in the past, they want to see what you are capable of now. So show them. If you can’t do the work it is time to move on. The ability to shift gears and move back to command mode is difficult. I have had to resort to locking my gear away in certain circumstances in order to make myself remain in command mode, rather than team leader mode. But the troops have no doubt that the boss still has the ability to get in there and work. I would say my strength is inspiring the operators to push themselves, whether it is in training or pushing toward the objective during a mission. I have found the transition from team leader to commander challenging.

mmJacob Taylor
      Participant

My strengths are in the relationships I build with my teammates. They know I work hard, care about them, and strive to do what is right. When relationships with subordinates are strong, morale is typically positive. Disciplinary issues are handled head-on and expectations are high.

Max Yakovlev
      Participant

My greatest leadership strength is my ability to detach and look at things objectively and without emotions.

mmChris Eklund
      Participant

I believe my competence level, honesty, and integrity. The people I lead and have led have confidence in my decision making, knowledge, and abilities. They know I will always tell them what I think, either about their strengths or weaknesses. I also work to be able to perform at a level of my best abilities and that I would not ask anything of anyone I would not do myself.

Jon Thompson
      Participant

I think my greatest leadership strength is my willingness to seek input from those who may have more knowledge or information about a particular tactic or situation. I spent several years away from the team between my stint as a member and then returning in a command role and things have definitely changed! The strong leader must be willing to swallow his pride and be willing to learn from even the newest SWAT-cop.

Jesse Laintz
      Participant

What are Your Greatest Leadership Strengths?
      Hard to judge one’s self without sounding arrogant, but here we go, I would have to say it is sound decision-making skills. These are critical to the success of any program, department or team. In the business of volatility, uncertainty, complexity, and ambiguity such as law enforcement this is important.

Tony Ferro
      Participant

Positivity, empathy, and humility are a few qualities that I think are most important. A key skill is the ability to build relationships. I believe it’s the responsibility of the leader to create a good safe environment for their people and make them feel valued. When leaders get the environment right, followers will do remarkable things. To make this possible, leaders have to build relationships with their people by inspiring them to do things they never thought they could do. Leaders have to build trust in order to get cooperation.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.