Moving Home Page Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership What are Your Greatest Leadership Strengths?

Viewing 93 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      Kenneth Kollmann
      Participant

I feel my greatest leadership strengths are competence, desire and character. I have been in SWAT for 15 years and have the knowledge, trust and confidence of my team to lead. Trust does not happen overnight, it is built through setting the example, knowing your people and working with them for a joint cause and mission (positive influence). I have the desire to work hard, gain knowledge and always continue to set the bar high for not only myself, but for the team as a whole. I am a retired U.S. Marine and have over 20 years in Law Enforcement; my character has been built though over 35 years in uniform serving my country and community. I ask that my team continue to learn and attend training, I am 53 years old and took this course to set the example that you never stop learning.

Brian Jucket
        Participant

I totally agree. I’ve been involved in law enforcement for almost 32 years and as I approach my final year, I too took this class to gain more experience, share it with my personnel, and to encourage them to never stop learning.

mmWayne Griffin
      Participant

I think my greatest leadership strengths are honesty, integrity, and trust. I three of these compliment each other and go hand and hand. There are numerous other leadership strengths, but for me these have help me not only professional with my guys also personally with my family.

David Allen
      Participant

I believe my greatest leadership strengths are trust, good communicator, and approachability.

mmMichael Reiss
      Participant

My ability to lead but ready to follow, to be aggressive but not overbearing, to be calm but not robotic, to be confident but never cocky, and to be brave but not foolhardy.

Anthony Kies
      Participant

I believe one of my greatest leadership strengths is Passion. My passion is the drive that keeps me on task and above the bar in most cases. I believe that if you keep that as a leadership strength that it will allow you to overcome any obstacle that tries to get in the way. All of my subordinates are first to notice this type of leadership and as a result I believe it helps drive a crew of guys and gals on night shift as to motivate them can be very difficult at times. I would also like to say that has helped my keep our morale high on SRT as everyone else we train extensively and yet at times they feel as if they don’t get used so my passion helps keep it creative and challenging.

Marc Wewee
      Participant

I believe that my greatest leadership strengths are honesty; competence; and assertiveness. I am open and honest with my team and my expectations of them but also of myself. I give credit when due and take blame when necessary. Having been a part of the team for 14 years, I have gained the knowledge and experience to lead and command and show my competence on a daily basis. Being firm and assertive but not overbearing also sets the tone with the guys so that things get done and competed right. There is a time to take suggestions and a time to issue orders and expect things to get done.

Brian Jucket
      Participant

I believe my greatest strengths in leadership is the ability to share my experience, to develop trust, to provide direction based upon sharing my 31 years of experience, to take responsibility for everything, and to create a working environment where we can share our thoughts but understand the goals set out.

Jason Edwards
      Participant

I believe my greatest leadership strengths are honesty, integrity, and competency. I always strive to be the type of supervisor who the officers know says what he means and means what he says. If I say I will or will not do something they can take me at my word. I also believe that should hold true when it comes to recognizing a job done well and a job done poorly. Every day I wake up I continue to build on a lifetime of integrity. I am a strong believer that a person builds integrity for a lifetime but it can be destroyed in seconds. Without integrity no one will follow me. Lastly is competency. I cannot be an effective leader if I don’t know what to do. I have had a long and diverse law enforcement career. I feel this helps me everyday successful lead officers through various challenges face everyday. I know how to handle a situation because “I have been there and done that.” As a result I know what has or has not worked in past situations.

Jesse Laintz
      Participant

For me it is always a little difficult to talk about one’s own leadership abilities in a favorable light. It just feels…self centered and wrong, but here we go. With this I will provide two characteristics that I believe I have when it comes to my leadership ability.

The two characteristics that I think provide my great leadership strengths are persistence and determination. These two characteristics are portrayed in a quote by our 30th President Calvin
      Coolidge;

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
      – Calvin Coolidge

Persistence and determination are two key characteristics of great leaders, and they are both what I strive to achieve daily. To be persistent it requires determination and an ideology of no matter what happens one must adhere to your principles and goals. Persistence is the ability to hold on or to get back up after we have been knocked down and it is essential for us to achieve any real success. We need to know that there will failures along the way and its how we deal with these failures that will determine the outcome of any endeavor that we undertake. To succeed in leadership one must work hard and continually hone their fourteen Marine Corps leadership characteristics (JJDIDTIEBUCKLE) to ensure both their team and themselves succeed. One must always find a way to motivate successful teamwork and positive interaction.

I believe my greatest leadership strengths are trust, integrity and desire to learn and pass knowledge on.

mmRian Shea
      Participant

I pride myself on being honest with those I work around. When I have a problem with a member that requires my attention, I tell them directly that this agency will never fire me for untruthfulness, if anything, I am going to be brutally honest with them. I think that quality is lacking in some leaders and political correctness has gotten in the way.

William McReynolds
      Participant

I think character, integrity, trust, and experience are leadership strengths I possess and always try to build upon. I have always had an internal “drive” or a determination to persevere, improve, learn, and share knowledge with others. It has been through that “drive” that I have continued on with trying to evolve as a law enforcement officer, as a man, husband, father, student, etc. I think one last strength is humility, and I see this strength as having two philosophical components to it. The first involves my simply accepting the fact that I don’t have all the answers, I don’t know everything, and that as a leader I am probably going to feel that I am in way over my head at some point. The other component is more encouraging, and tells me that even if my experience isn’t enough, I can utilize that drive and determination to persevere and endure and find the solutions to the challenges I face. I guess a more simplified way of saying this is that I just never quit.

mmGlenn gordon
      Participant

I feel that my greatest leadership strengths are, perseverance, honesty, decision making, and innovation. If you are willing to spend over two decades in any occupation, there has to be some level of perseverance, unless you’re just glutton for punishment. I’ve had the opportunity to lead some of my Airman through various situations where my whole reasoning for being in military law enforcement was questioned. I believe perseverance also ties in with resiliency. If they see their team leader willing to get help and bounce back, they’re more apt to do the same. Sometimes, I feel that I’m a bit too honest. I don’t have inappropriate outbursts or straight out degrade someone, but if I don’t like someone, my body language is hard to hide. Also, when senior leadership comes around, I’m often avoided because of my opinions. Which are not always all bad. And finally, decision-making. I really don’t have hang-ups about my decisions. I tend to press on, take it as a lesson learned, and not make the same mistake last time. But to my fault, I feel that I’m a little to analytical at times.

Michael Welch
        Participant

Glenn,
        All of your strengths are impressive, especially honestly. Many people have a hard time turning the lens on themselves. You have done a good job pointing out areas where you fall short. Acknowledging any shortcoming is the first step.

Keep up the good work leading your troops.

Mike

mmJon Brambila
      Participant

My greatest strength as a leader is putting people first and having a servant’s heart. I believe that that when you approach leadership in that manner you foster an environment of trust, respect, good communication and honesty which serves to enhance everyone’s experience. Taking responsibility for the decisions that I make and my willingness to never stop learning and improving are also great strengths that help me be an effective leader.

Corey Odell
      Participant

I feel my greatest strengths are passion and my ability to listen. I am passionate about law enforcement and borderline fanatical about SWAT. I feel those that I lead feed off of my passion and in turn my passions become their passions and we all push each other to be better in those passions. I do not pretend to know everything and try to listen as much as I preach. If one of my people know a better way or even different way that is just as effective I listen to their view points and try to implement their ideas as much as I can. It is my ability to listen and implement what I hear that helps those I lead not feel slighted or unheard when a situation dictates that I make decisions quickly without time for input from others. They know and trust my decision making process and know we will always have a productive debriefing session about the incident is resolved to what everyone (me included) can do better the next time we are faced with that situation.

mmRick Ryan
      Participant

I believe my greatest strengths are patience and maturity. I chose to wait to promote and progress throughout my career. When I did, I packed a strong work history with a very diverse work history. This foundation has allowed me not only accurately access my abilities (strengths and weaknesses), but also identify those of the many supervisors I have worked with/for. As a result, I have matured to a level that affords me professional relationships with much more senior level agency leaders. These professional relationships provide for my professional development and interaction at a level above that of my piers. I value the experiences and challenges over the title or pay. It has allowed me the humbling experience of being in a profession and position which I thoroughly enjoy. As a supervisor I keep my focus on the team goals, while simultaneously assuring the prioritized administrative tasks are completed. I, however, do not get overly agitated or frustrated at the inevitable mountains and obstacles the administrative process creates.

Jeffrey Brown
      Participant

I believe my greatest leadership strengths are competence and drive. I believe my competence and confidence are what makes my team mates follow me willingly. It is my drive that has caused me to move up through the chain of command to team leader. My time in the military certainly had a lot to do with the development of my leadership style. This early leadership training is what many of my peers missed out on. Successful completion of Ranger school prepared me ahead of time for the small unit operations of SWAT. The direct style is very effective in a tactical setting. Strategic leadership is a skill I hope to further develop as part of this training.

Sean Wallace
      Participant

I believe my greatest leadership strengths are beyond knowledge, skills, and abilities. I believe my greatest leadership strengths are my passion and commitment to the mission. The Tactical mission is in my blood. I am passionate because I believe in the mission and I want to perfect my craft. I am constantly seeking improvement. I want to ensure that my team and I are ready to go when the bell rings. Ask anyone that has spent any time around me, and they will tell you I am passionate about the mission. I will also tell you, that my passion and commitment have been my biggest leadership challenges. I say that, because as a young leader I used to get frustrated when I didn’t think my peers or officers were as passionate or as committed as me. I had to learn through experience (sometimes painful), that everyone is different in their passion and commitment and that is not a bad thing.

Jeffrey Brown
        Participant

Sean,
        I have had similar challenges in leadership in my career. At times I have had what I felt was a lack of passion and motivation with some team mates. I have always addressed it, whether through peer pressure as a fellow operator, or through tightening up the team as a whole with group exercises. I believe in a constant need for improvement and some would rather go through the motions to meet the current standard.

mmJuan Gonzalez
      Participant

I believe that my greatest leadership strength is the ability to influence others to improve their passion and committment to law enforcement and or a particular assignment such as swat operators. I always believed that we will never meet our potential if we can not influence others to become great leaders in our teams. Strengths can be weaknesses if not shared with others.

Josh McDonald
      Participant

My strengths are I am always looking to improve my knowledge, skills and abilities. I ensure there is open communication within the section. I welcome criticism that I can learn from and I will out work anyone to improve myself.

Mike Radford
      Participant

Courage. Not in the sense of being brave in the face of danger, but courage to confront poor performance, and hold everyone accountable. My team and I have fun, but they all have learned if you don’t give whats expected, I will be asking why. We all talk about values and standards, but we have to be able to hold everyone accountable to those values. Friends, old timers, and ourselves. If we don’t, we show the lack of courage it takes to truly lead. It’s hard, and constant struggle, you may lose the popularity contest, but in the end your teams will be better because of it.

Ryan Cunningham
      Participant

I think my best leadership strengths are honesty and adaptability. Honesty not just with myself but with others, though my honesty can get me in trouble as I have a tendency to say what I am thinking regardless of who ask the question. Adaptability in that I am always trying to find new ways to do things and am willing to change and am not one who is all about doing things the way we always have just because others dislike the idea of change. I also am adaptable in how I can interact with various generations. I am a lot younger than most people in a senior leadership position of an organization, but i have the ability to communicate and operate with them. At the same time I am able to speak with younger officers in terms and media they better understand. It is the ability to adapt to someone who understands written memos with contingency and specific written policy to someone who prefers the twitter 140 characters version of instruction and policy.

mmDrew Leblanc
      Participant

I believe, my greatest leadership strength is the ability to self critique. I think this has helped me progress through my Law Enforcement career quickly because I identify issues and address them. I think the ability to understand where you are lacking is a true statement of character and intergirty, which are both important leadership prinicipals. I have changed numerous times in my career, and I call continue to change.

LT. Drew LeBlanc MACJ, Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office

mmJohn Atkins
        Participant

Drew,

I think you make an excellent point and one all leaders should remember. Leaders often get caught up in achieving goals and motivating others that they lose focus on themselves and how they can improve in themselves. As you stated the ability to for effective self-analysis is very important to keep growing as a leader and how you are being perceived by your subordinates, peers, and bosses. One way to enhance this is by seeking feedback from people you trust to be honest in that feedback.

Max Yakovlev
      Participant

I believe, my greatest leadership strength Knowledge and understanding of the organization and the officers i supervise. I know their strengths and area of improvement. I know how and what motivates them to get the job done.

mmRyan Kiefer
      Participant

I believe that my greatest leadership strengths are integrity, accountability and a desire to be ever improving. My integrity has always been one of, if not the most, important thing to me. I was taught from an early age that, at the end of the day, I have to be able to look myself in the mirror and be happy with the person I see looking back at me. As such, I have made it a point to not sacrifice my integrity for the sake of being liked, being accepted to specialized assignments, or “getting ahead” within my organization. Accountability goes hand-in-hand with integrity for me. No one in this world is perfect, least of all me. I have made more than my fair share of mistakes throughout my career and it is certain that I will make mistakes in the future. I have always accepted responsibility for my mistakes and, recently as a Field Training Officer, I have started accepting the mistakes of my trainees. The way I see it, if my trainees make a mistake on training or ever after training, then I did not do a sufficient enough of a job as their trainer to ensure that they had the knowledge and confidence in their job. Finally, I have always pushed myself to improve from where I am. As a young officer, I was told by my father (a retired Sergeant) and I quickly realized that I could not expect my organization to provide me with all of the training I wanted, or even needed. My organization, like any other, operates on a budget and has 91 other sworn employees who also need and want various trainings. As such, I spent (and continue to spend) a lot of my own money and vacation time to attend trainings on topics I found interesting and/or that I felt I needed to help me improve as an officer. My self-improvement has not been relegated to trainings alone. As a Field Training Officer, I meet with each one of my trainees at the end of our time together and I ask them for a no-holds barred assessment of my as a trainer, specifically what worked and what didn’t for the trainee. I have taken the feedback I had gotten from my trainees and used it to develop my own teaching and training style for the next trainee who comes to me. I feel that without this constant self-development, we cannot grow as individuals and organizations, and are doomed to repeat the most horrific mistakes of out past.

mmDerrick Coleman
      Participant

I am a young team leader. I have been in law enforcement for 10 yrs. I have 4 yrs. with the team. Our team had been dormant, prior to my 4 yrs. Early on, I was leading and really didn’t realize I was on my way to a leadership role. I had some idea of what leaders were, and I was aware of traits and qualities leaders possess however, I never consciously thought about being a leader, I simply conducted myself a certain way, trained and studied and worked hard. I tried to inspire, share, and step forward to accomplish task and the job. It wasn’t until my watch commander during a my evaluation session, that he pointed out that many officers follow me. Through my actions, training and work performance, management began to show renewed interest in resurrecting our SRT team, and tasked me with assisting in putting the team back together. I feel my greatest leadership strengths are diligence, a strong desire to continue to get better, and make others around me better. My willingness to share what I have learned from training, and mistakes. Honesty and integrity and willingness to do the right thing, moral courage. I feel my willingness to sacrifice for the team, the agency and the mission is one of my strongest leadership traits. My deep desire to continue to seek knowledge, trying to examine events to learn from and better prepare our agency and team, inspiring others to be better, communicating a vision, and a willingness to sacrifice, doing whatever it takes to get our team better are my strongest leadership qualities.

mmJohn Atkins
        Participant

Derrick,

After reading your post I was reminded of a book I read on leadership that I found mirrored your personal leadership points, it stated that the four most looked for traits in a leader are in order; honesty, forward looking, inspiring, and competent. The highest trait – honesty is easy, just don’t lie! Truth is always respected, even if it is hard to hear. Law enforcement places as high premium on personal integrity, and rightly so, if you are thought to be less than honest you simply will not be trusted or willingly followed. Forward looking and competent just requires continued effort and engagement with all of your duties, paying attention to what the future possibilities are, and looking for opportunities to improve. The hardest of traits, I have found, is trying to be inspiring to my fellow peers and members of the community. People are inspired by different things and finding ways to inspire them is definitely a challenge, but professional and determined engagement in your duties, projects, and helping peers goes a long way to establishing yourself as a leader.

mmJohn Atkins
      Participant

In a self-assessment of my leadership strengths, I feel that my best leadership trait lies in that I try to do my best as a law enforcement officer in all my responsibilities and I have the respect of my fellow officers. I have loved my job since the first day that I stepped into our basic academy as a twenty-three year old green recruit. I feel that I was made for this profession and I still love coming to work and being a positive contributor to our agency. This love and enthusiasm shows in how I perform my duties and in interactions with my fellow officers. Over the course of my career I have experienced disappointments and successes, gone through a short term of burnout, and have seen close friends leave the profession due to these issues. I have managed to keep my perspective (most times) and remember the reason why I wanted to become a policeman in the first place – because it is the best job in the world and I still love doing the job. People respond positively to leaders that love their work and enjoy being in a successful team.

mmFabian Rivera
      Participant

Affection, true love for the guys I lead and follow. As many of you, my leadership journey started in the military (USMC), and I incorporated many of the traditional leadership traits. Through the years and tribulations, I came to understand that “Brotherhood, or the bond men establish in times of hardships were stronger than any leadership theory or concept. Of course if you are a Marine “JJ DID TIE BUCKLE…” Justice, Judgment, Dependability, Initiative, Dedication, Tact, Integrity, Enthusiasm, Bearing, Unselfishness, Courage, Knowledge, Loyalty, Endurance, comes to mind. I know some of you have a subordinate, team member, or teammate that you really disliked, you might not like him, but it’s our oath or duty as leaders to ensure they are properly trained, equipped, and lead.

mmChris Eklund
      Participant

My greatest leadership strengths have come from my ability to first become a student. Beginning with my military time and later to a line unit member and young SWAT operator and counter-sniper, I began to immerse myself in the tasks and knowledge necessary to complete missions effectively. I was sure to not only be a student of the basic tasks, but even those that seemed menial. For example, in addition to learning how to be a consistent rifle shooter, I also took time to learn that craft (Camouflage, range estimation, ballistics, etc.)

I also worked to become exposed to as many experiences as I could so I would be able to recognize common occurrences and respond in a timely way.

By adopting these working models, I have able to gain the trust of my subordinates through my competencies to where the student becomes the teacher. Now being a leader who strives to give my subordinates as much knowledge and experience as I can drives them to succeed in similar ways.

mmJeremy Lorenzo
      Participant

I am confident, competent, passionate, professional, and most importantly, fair. I believe that these five traits have allowed me to gain the respect of those under my supervisions. This has also earned me the trust of my supervisors and peers. By being confident, I am not afraid to make hard decisions when called upon to do so. I am a constant student of the profession which allows me to be competent. I am passionate about this great profession that we are in. This is what drives good officers to be great. Professionalism is key in our line of work. If I am professional, my subordinates will also be professional. Our citizens deserve this. Fairness is one of the traits that often gets overlooked. You cannot people please when it comes time to lead. However, you can take everyone’s input and feelings into consideration to make the best decisions possible.

Lonnie Tullos
      Participant

I believe one of my greatest leadership strengths is the ability to see the big picture. I always try to foresee the “ripple effect” of actions we take today.

Adam McCambridge
      Participant

I believe my greatest leadership strength is a willingness to speak honestly with people. I’d like to say I’m always “brutally honest” – but I can’t. I think there are times when brutal honesty is very necessary. I also believe that sometimes it is better to take the “brutal” part out. Good, bad, or indifferent, not everyone responds to criticism (or honesty) the same. Having the ability to read the audience and communicate your message in a way that it will be most effectively received is important.

mmDrew Williams
      Participant

I believe my greatest leadership strengths are centered strongly around possessing solid Character and Competence. As we all would tend to agree, it’s hard to lead without these two corner stone leadership virtues. Additionally, I’ve worked hard to set the standard for accountability and respect in both my professional and personal life. I’m a firm believer in getting the little things right, executing and setting the example for others to follow.

Don Almer
      Participant

My three greatest leadership strengths are my applied curiosity, my love for challenges and having a vision of the future instead of just focusing on “the now.”

My applied curiosity developed at a young age and is one thing that most people notice about me. I question things a lot in striving to understand: how things work; why things are a certain way; how things could be better. This applied curiosity directly influences me to cooperate with others, express things in a positive and encouraging manner, solicit input and build quality teams. But has also gotten a lot of defensiveness from others that perceive my questions as a threat.

Another strong quality I possess is my love for challenges. Because I have never been the strongest, fastest, smartest, etc. I developed a tenacious work ethic when faced with challenges. Challenges come from both within and without the agency. As a leader, I am comfortable with discomfort and know that “today’s impossibilities” are merely “tomorrow’s no problems” in disguise. From my experience and training, I can set priorities, consider cost-benefit or return-on-investment analyses, be mindful of organizational outcomes and long-term goals, and achieve excellent results… but also know that my skillset might be different from another’s skill set. Thus it’s imperative that I don’t discount others and help form a cooperative, team-centered environment because without all of us working together, things are definitely harder!

Finally, having a vision of the future instead of just focusing on “the now” has helped me tremendously during my career. By having a vision of the future, we do current tasks better because the context of the future assists in guiding why we are doing those tasks in the first place. This vision of the future assists with learning about the next steps to take, and the necessary preparations for those next steps lays the foundation for a track record of success and being open to opportunities… all because we are operating with a consistent vision of the future! Because we know where we would like to go, it is easier to develop the plan to get there. I have used this quality to help build tremendous teams, accomplish projects and to effectively mentor personnel that will assist the agency as it transitions from our current version to future versions… and as we’ve all commented on, leaders need to get folks engaged in that shared vision!

mmMike Ligon
      Participant

I believe that my greatest leadership strength is to lead by example. By the things I do day to day in my job and in my home life. All of the things I do in these two areas are based of honesty, integrity, accountability, loyalty, and humility.

mmRyan Leavengood
      Participant

This is a difficult question to answer. It’s very easy to say that my greatest leadership strength is integrity, leading by example, or character. But I don’t know if that is honest, because frankly, I don’t know what it is. Every time I’ve been requested to take a leadership role, told to take a leadership role, nominated by peers, or promoted to a leadership role, I’ve always felt “I’m not ready for this.” Every time. But then I end up jumping in with both feet. A constant journey this leadership is. I don’t know how to answer this question. But if I’m forced to name something – perhaps being an example.

mmKevin Coggins
        Participant

Ryan I can relate to this. I often have the same feeling that “I’m not ready” or even asked myself “Will I do a good Job”. Every time I followed through or accepted a position I hesitated on, it ended up being one of the best experiences I ever had.

Lance Bolinger
      Participant

One of my greatest leadership strengths is merely being present. My officers have responded better to having a Commander at every training then I could have possibly imagined. In the past, we have had Commanders not make trainings, because other issues took precedent over it. I am not criticizing them as I was not in their shoes, and I do not know all of the details behind it. However, in my experience my officers thrive on knowing that I am there with them watching them perform, and acknowledging their hard work. There will always be other obligations that arise, and sometimes I cannot avoid them. However, I believe I have established a relationship with my team that they know if I am not present then I had another obligation that I could not avoid. I enjoy interacting and participating with the line level officers, and I want them to feel like they can approach me at any time with concerns.

Denny Perkins
      Participant

As a sheriff’s department SWAT Commander, my greatest leadership strengths include having twenty years experience in SWAT prior to becoming the team commander and also having the support and confidence of my Sheriff, my former SWAT commander. These things, accompanied with earning each team member’s trust and respect by bleeding before them and with them, has made my leadership role easier. Lastly, I feel like my willingness to embrace and seek out new ideas to improve the team is an important positive attribute that I have as a leader.

mmJacob Taylor
      Participant

I think my strengths are compassion for others and a willingness to serve at any level. Where there is a need seen, an assignment has been given. I’m always looking for work to do.

mmKevin Coggins
      Participant

My greatest leadership strengths are my experience, strong character, and my ability to be a good follower. My experience over the years has included successes and failures, both kept me humble and motivated to become better. I have always been one to put myself out there and try to learn every job on the team. My strong character helps me build the trust I need as a leader, it has gotten me through difficult situations in life. My ability to stick to my values and beliefs has helped me earn trust and respect of others, even if they didn’t agree with my opinion. Being exposed to a leadership position at a young age I learned quickly how difficult it can be, this motivated me to become better. I had the privilege of working for some really great leaders over the years and tried to learn from them and emulate them as best I can. By being a good follower I learned the importance of knowing the mission, helping carry out the mission, and working hard to get the praise of my superiors and respect of my peers. While peoples motivations are different it does help me to remember what encouraged or discouraged me as a subordinate.

Randy Pollard
      Participant

I believe that I am a servant leader. Every day I come to work to support my employees and give them the things they need to accomplish the missions we task them with. I expect a lot from each of them, but I will also take the time necessary to teach them. I am honest with each of them as well. They know that I can be trusted to tell them the truth, even if it isn’t what they want to hear.

mmBrian Behrend
      Participant

My greatest leadership strengthens are integrity, selflessness, and courage. Integrity is not an option for leaders. There is only one direction that our compass can point as leaders. Once your integrity is questioned by your subordinates, peers and superiors it is next to impossible to get back. Selflessness is the second area that I highlighted. I always placed the needs of the mission and my men before my own. I learned through my military deployments how important this is and it has carried over with me to the SWAT Team. Courage both physically and morally. The courage to put myself in harms way for the safety of others. Moral courage has a leader is just as important. The courage to tell your subordinates where they stand as well as the courage to stand up for what is right.

mmJacob Noltze
      Participant

Reading others responses to this post, They all sound pretty amazing. I have never really put much thought into what leadership strengths I possess and of them which are the greatest. I have always considered my self a natural leader and never put much thought or effort into the fact until reading this discussion board. I train on my own time with my own money and bring back anything that may pertain to the team and have advanced the teams skills far beyond what it would be had I not joined the team 10 years ago. But what is it that made seasoned operators listen to a new way of doing things? Perseverance and conviction? Perhaps it is my desire to improve myself and being enthusiastic about teaching others things that interest me. Either way I believe and am an honest person, and I hold myself to a higher standard than most I work alongside. All qualities I think are crucial to a good leader.

mmJake Stoll
      Participant

I believe my greatest leadership strengths are dedication and persistence. I think the sign of a true leader is one who does not have to try at it, but it comes naturally. If you go to a meeting and start trying to sell your “product” then people will naturally be skeptical, especially cops. If they are able to see you, as the leader, working towards similar goals already, then it makes it much easier for them to jump on board and help however they can. People will follow leaders much more effectively than specific objectives. Build the reputation that if a task is worth your time and energy, then it is worth theirs as well.

mmBrian Bomstein
      Participant

I think my greatest leadership strengths are integrity and drive to accomplish the mission. I hope throughout my career that I have set an example for owning my mistakes and providing direct honest answers regardless of the perceived response for those answers. I feel that my drive to accomplish a task or mission has allowed me to learn from my mistakes and learn to do things the right way. Through repetition, I have learned the profession and been able to pass along my experience through various positions such as FTO and shift supervision. Having started as a patrol officer in this agency, I understand what the patrol officer experiences and better understand their needs.

Brian Lord
      Participant

Like many above, it is my perception that my greatest leadership strengths are: integrity, tenacity, and self reflection. Without the ability to self reflect or own your mistakes you are less likely to grow as a leader. Without tenacity, when faced with speed bumps you are more likely to give in.

Diana Clevenger
      Participant

Love. While some may not consider this a leadership strength it is the very foundation of relationships. Love of the Country, Community and Cops. I have loved my Country for as long as I can remember, I was raised in a home that showed love and respect for the fiber of our Country. I joined the service and served 4 years on Active Duty including several tours to the Persian gulf and Asia. I serve on community boards, non profits to better understand and give back (love) my community. I love my community through police service. By protecting those who cannot protect themselves and doing my part to hold those accountable who chose to violate the laws.

Most readily apparent is my love of my cops. I don’t just mean within my agency, but across this Country. I love on individual level in the relationships I have with co works, supervisors and subordinates. I love y giving of my time, my energy, my emotion and my skills. I love them by not letting them walk off the cliff. I love them by telling them when they could do better as well as when they are amazing. I love them by challenging the way we have always done it. I love them even more by trying to get them to love each other.

One of the many draw to law enforcement for me was the concept of family. The bonds shared by this law Enforcement community I thought would emulate those relationships formed in the military. I see way to often officers tearing each other down, Monday morning quarterbacking, talking about one another behind their back and not, mentoring, coaching. We would take a bullet for one another but we wont stand up for one another or tell them before they commit a decision that could damage their career, their family, or law enforcement reputation.

Adam Bradford
      Participant

My greatest strengths include the ability to listen to others, a strong sense of integrity, and my dependability. I believe these traits are very important when it comes to leadership, as being honest and dependable are the cornerstones of leadership. If your subordinates do not trust you or feel they can’t depend on you they will not listen to you. The ability to listen to others, specifically your subordinates is also important due to the fact that they may have a better idea.

Denny Perkins
      Participant

I believe that my greatest strength in leadership is having the trust of my team. I have been on SWAT for eighteen years and have worked my way up through the ranks. I have always kept their best interest at heart and, as a team, shared great victories and failures with them. I value their opinions and their personal lives. I believe that our team is a true family because of those things.

mmAaron Costello
      Participant

I believe my greatest leadership strength is my ability to self-assess or critique and then adjust. I treat it similar to a science experiment although not necessarily dispassionately. What is the fault or problem and how does it get fixed. Something similar to removing the ego and working at improvement knowing not only will I improve, but others I lead will also benefit. Additionally this self-assessment ability has also been a hindrance and it seems I have been very self-centered while trying to improve myself. Somewhere along the way during a peer-review it was noted that I focused more on improving myself than others.

mmSam Betz
      Participant

I think my greatest leadership strengths are that I attempt to put the needs of the men and women that I lead before my own. I attempt to model the behavior that I expect out of them and I attempt to inspire their heart with a vision for the future. I also attempt to be consistent in all of these to earn their trust. It’s a work in progress, but I believe in earning their trust on a daily basis.

Nick Sprague
      Participant

My greatest leadership strength is the ability to listen and not to just listen for what I want to hear. It has taken me some time to learn to give the person my undivided attention (ie. not answering emails, or reviewing reports). Often times I have found that just listening to someone who has a problem is the only real solution that they want.

Coleman Morrell
      Participant

I believe my greatest leadership strength is my ability to act as a force multiplier. My team works with several different organizations across our state and we must constantly adjust to the cultural and organizational values of the folks we are working with. Over many years, I have learned and tried to share with my team the process of selecting the right tool for the right job. When to lead with decisiveness and when to stay quiet and humble, operating behind the scenes.

mmChris Lapre
      Participant

Decisiveness would have to be my greatest strength. I have been very fortunate to have some amazing mentors. Many have taught the importance of decision making during difficult times and a wrong decision made with a good outcome is still a decision made. Owning that decision is even more important and I have no issues with a solid AAR that points these out.

Michael Welch
        Participant

Chris,
        You are lucky to have had good mentors in your career. Those are hard to come by. I wanted to comment on your statement about owning decisions. I think that is noble, especially when it does not have the best outcome. It’s easy to blame others but it takes a real leader to stand up and take responsibility.

Keep up the good work.

Mike

mmBilly Downey
      Participant

Servant leadership is my greatest strength. My philosophy…. don’t ask your people to do anything you would not do yourself. But in that you must show competency in the task at hand.

mmJonathan Wuneburger
      Participant

I believe my greatest Leadership strengths are my honesty, worth ethic and the ability put the team before myself. I’ve always attempted to bring honesty to the table, even in situations in which the honest approach would be looked at negatively. I believe that each individual member needs to response with professional and tactful honesty when asked, as doing otherwise causes confusion and misinterpretation.

Having a strong work ethic bleeds into leading by example. If you work hard and put the mission and team before yourself, your selflessness and professionalism will shine through. Being a great Leader is a continuous learning process and one that is unending.

mmRyan Moore
      Participant

I feel my greatest leadership strength is that I do my best in all my responsibilities as a law enforcement officer even before my duties as a positional leader. I also work “with” the officers around me, they don’t work “for” me. Although I have gained a title of leadership within our department, I am still willing to work beside the other officers and prove I am able to answer any call and take any report. By doing this, it shows I would not ask anyone to do something I am not willing to do myself.

Jon Thompson
      Participant

Integrity, trusting my subordinates and job knowledge are all strengths, but those are also the easy answers. I’ve learned over the last couple of years especially, both at work and in my family life, that there is great strength in being able to admit that “I don’t know” or “I was wrong.” Being open to honest criticism, while not always fun or easy to listen to, is definitely a strength and also being open to learning how to fix a mistake.

mmBrandon Ince
      Participant

I feel that the following are my greatest leadership strengths. I am aware of my strengths and areas that I need to improve upon. In that same vein, I know when it’s time to lead and when I need to follow. I have the ability to admit when I make mistakes and take those situations as lessons learned (I don’t make the same mistake twice). I am motivated to hone my craft and continuously work to better myself through training, reading and other learning opportunities. Additionally, I believe that I have very strong interpersonal skills. This has allowed me to connect with the individuals I work with and for them to believe in my leadership abilities/competencies.

mmShawn Wilson
      Participant

I believe that one’s greatest leadership traits can only be truly identified by those that they serve. A leader is there to serve and protect those that he/she is entrusted to lead. A leader needs to be able to identify his weaknesses. To receive a true breakdown of a leader one only needs to go out and speak to those that he/she works with and they will tell you what the greatest leadership traits are they will also tell you what the greatest weakness is and this is where I believe we need to spend our time on. When are weakness has been identified by those that we serve it is our duty as leaders to become stronger in that facet of our leadership and by continually assessing ourselves we will not become stale in our thought process and become more effective leaders.

Vincent Upole
      Participant

I believe my greatest leadership strengths are my ability to remain open minded and my ability to jump in with the team. By remaing open minded, I mean not jumping to conclusions when things happen such as departmental crashes, complaints, ect. Realizing no one really wants to screw up on purpose, I try to mentor younger officers and help them learn from their experiences and mine too. I also don’t hesitate to jump in where needed. Whether its a less lethal grenadier for civil disorder or acting as a role player for scenarios, I’m happy to help so our team is successful.

Shawn Combs
      Participant

I think one of my greatest leadership strengths is patience. This has saved me several times as a first line supervisor when something goes wrong. My first reaction is to bring the officer(s) involved in and start questioning them from my perspective. Over the years, I have learned to slow down and instead ask them what happened and why. This way instead of just immediately reprimanding them, I gain complete understanding and then can make a more informed decision. Instead of rushing into things, I now have a tendency to fully evaluate, to include soliciting input from those around me. This is, obviously, not always possible in situations when decisions need to be made quickly. But, most of the time, as a leader you do have the time and it saves frustration and confusion to be patient in my approach.
      Another strength I believe I have is credibility. Credibility is vital to leadership. If those you lead do not see you as credible, they will not take you seriously. Most officers that fast track to supervision are not seen as credible and only gain compliance due to the title they hold. It makes it easier to hold the officers accountable when you can say that you are still holding to the same standards and have served faithfully in the position that they are for some time.

Corban Davis
        Participant

Shawn,

Patience is vital in leadership. I too have jumped to a conclusion earlier than I should have. It is a work in progress for all of us.

Corban

mmChristian Rogers
      Participant

I believe that my greatest leadership strengths are integrity and humility. No matter the situation that I am put in, I always ensure that I adhere to both of those qualities. When I started my career as a police officer, there were certain people that I looked up to and they happened to be members of our agencies SWAT Team. At the time, I admired their honesty, hard-work, and humility. Now, being an Assistant Team Leader on our team, I strive to be that same role model not just for newer operators on our team but newer members of our agency. Displaying integrity and humility shows them that I am honest, that I care, and that I am not better than them.

Corban Davis
      Participant

I am a very focused and detail oriented leader. I feel I adequately set parameters for my team and let them execute the mission within those parameters. I am also able to differentiate between new members of the team that need more guidance and others that are on the team that have proven themselves in giving these tasks. Another area I feel contributes to my leadership strength is adapting to those who I supervise. My role is to make them the best that they can be by adapting to their learning styles and interests. Not make them into what I was and how I operated at an officer level.

mmAaron Springer
      Participant

This is a tough one. While I do my best to remain positive and optimistic about all things, my personality tends to draw me to focus on the negative, instead of the positive. I was very lucky to be in a course recently that required the students to complete an assessment of both positive and negative leadership characteristics. The assessment, the Nohari and Johari Windows, consisted of soliciting anonymous input. The participants were required to select 5 strengths and weaknesses. I thought the best pool of responses would be from the Team, so I sent it to all 30 SWAT guys. I was pretty excited to get the Johari/positive feedback back. It described, based on feedback, my positive dominant traits were Confidence, Dependability, Intelligence, and Knowledge. When I got the Nohari/negative results back, I felt like I had been punched in the gut. The team listed by top negative traits as Inflexible, Impatient, and Loud.

I was fortunate to be out of town, away from the team for 3 months while I was training. The time away gave me an excellent opportunity to reflect on the feedback the team gave me. I committed myself to learning from the process. My goal has always been to be a great leader, and I was obviously falling well short of my personal and professional goals. The experience has taught me to be much more introspective and critically self analytical as a leader, constantly evaluating my behavior with how it will effect the Team. A great man once told me, “Sprinkling Anger Dust on it, won’t make it better.”

I have learned to temper my response, behavior, and interaction with others to be better to them, and for them. I have studied emotional intelligence and stoic philosophy and have made great strides in how I believe I am perceived by those I have committed to lead.

In short, I think my greatest leadership strength is the ability to be more self reflective, focus on the team, control my emotions, and be the leader THEY want and need, and not focus on myself.

I work very hard to embody the characteristics of Courage, Loyalty, and Humility as a guide to my base leadership tenets.

Thank you for letting me share.
      V/R,
      Aaron

Michael Welch
        Participant

Aaron,
        I think your honesty and introspection is impressive. It shows you are a good leader, because you care enough to listen. That is an excellent trait and I hope you continue to hone that skill. Your team is lucky to have you.

Mike

mmFred Payne
      Participant

I think my greatest strengths are that I never quit at any given task, I get along well with other people and I am good at assisting others and helping them to accomplish their goals and tasks.

Nick Godwin
        Participant

Fred,

Having that never quit attitude is a wonderful strength as a leader. It is one of the best ways to lead by example. Helping other to accomplish their goals and tasks, only helps build stronger relationships that will only improve the work output by those on your team. Good strengths to have indeed.

Thomas Carroll
      Participant

I am fortunate to have had good mentors and mixed tactical experiences in my life. What has worked for me so far is the fact that I can draw upon them to shape future actions. I use tactical patience and make sound and timely decisions as required. I never want to forget where I came from and I will always set the example for others to follow.

Shannon Cantrell
      Participant

I think my greatest leadership strengths are honesty, fairness, and consistency. I have learned that no matter how much how would like to be a leader no one will follow you if they can not trust you. If you are fair they also know that now matter what happens that you will consider the whole totality of circumstances before making decisions. Finally if you are consistent, people will expect you to act a certain way under that same circumstances.

Tony Ferro
      Participant

I believe my greatest leadership strengths are honesty and competency. I strongly believe honesty/trust is the foundation of leadership. I pride myself on being true to myself and to the folks I lead. It’s okay to make mistakes, just own up to them when you do. There also has to be a level of competency. I can’t be an effective leader if I don’t know what to do.

Tony Ferro
      Participant

Positivity, empathy, and humility are a few qualities that I think are most important. A key skill is the ability to build relationships. I believe it’s the responsibility of the leader to create a good safe environment for their people and make them feel valued. When leaders get the environment right, followers will do remarkable things. To make this possible, leaders have to build relationships with their people by inspiring them to do things they never thought they could do. Leaders have to build trust in order to get cooperation.

Jonathan Thum
      Participant

My greatest strength is to be able to admit my mistakes and allow others to learn from them. In leadership the lack of personal accountability for decisions can be detrimental when you expect the same of those you lead. Another strength is patience and calm. In high stress situations or discipline situations an overreaction based on emotions can be damaging and hard to repair. Calm and patience allows for a measure response that will be more effective.

Heath Scott
        Participant

Humility I find is the greatest builder of trust, the people around you can’t help but be influenced by those that admit to and learn from failure.

Great post

Nicholas Alamshaw
      Participant

Building relationships and communicating are a few of my strengths. I am a strong believer that communicating is a way that can solve many challenges that you may face. If you can communicate well you may not come to an agreement with someone, but at least you both will have an idea of where each other is coming from. Admitting when I am wrong is also a strength. I work hard to leave my ego out of things and do my best to take criticism and errors I make on things as a learning lesson.

Greg Arpin
      Participant

I believe some of my leadership strengths are to lead by example and not be afraid to get dirty and do the hard work that I would ask of my fellow Officers. I like to be the first to come, and the last to leave, and though alone those qualities do not prove me to be an effective leader, it is still where I wish to begin. Like others on this thread have said, I can admit when I am wrong, and am really collected in situations that are very stressful.

Jeremy Story
      Participant

I have to echo what many of you have already said. I believe trust is my greatest strength as a leader. I also recognize that it took years to build but can also be lost in a single decision. I try to always be cognizant of those sobering truths and work everyday to maintain that trust.

Heath Scott
      Participant

Attitude – I believe it is your greats weapon, it often helps me to think through stressful situations, it allows me to recognize the times when I must be autocratic in direction and democratic in problem-solving. I’m certainly not God’s gift to police work, but my attitude has always been a blessing – it is the one thing I can always control, regardless of the uncertainty that comes from situations I find myself in.

Ryan Qualseth
      Participant

I’ve been able to gain trust (greatest leadership strength) in subordinates and leaders above me through a combination of the following traits:
      1. Experiencing a wide range of positions and knowledge in those areas
      2. Speaking respectfully, but honestly to persons above and below me during times of crisis or decision making. Explaining “why”
      3. Maintaining calm during calamity.
      4. Acknowledging mistakes openly and without reservation
      5. Allowing subordinates to operate in their “lane” after I’ve given them instruction on the parameters I wish them to operate in. (not micromanaging)
      6. Developing and maintaining quality personal relationships with those I supervise. Friendship isn’t required, but having personal connections/conversations about what subordinates feel is most important to them and their situation. Get to know their ethics, moral compass and motivations, both professional and personally.
      Although all of these traits are important, I’ve developed #6 much more in the later years of my career. I always believed 1-5 were the most important, but as I got older and gained more introspective, #6 may be the most important to gaining/maintaining trust

mmJR Mahoney
      Participant

I feel my greatest leadership strengths start with my self realization of my bad habits. Being aware that I can be reactionary, I work hard to bite my tongue in order to just listen. Chew on what is being said and do not react emotionally. Take time to work through the issue and then answer when it can be done in a productive way. I work hard to take a personal interest in all those who I supervise. It allows for greater relationships which can help foster good communication and productivity. I rather my officers work hard out of respect, not out of fear of punishment. I believe I am competent in my abilities as a SWAT Operator, which allows me to lead by example.

Jason Cannon
      Participant

Dependability: I can be counted on the be there, when I am needed. I take tasks to completion with little or no supervision.
      Courage: I have the courage to make the hard decisions knowing full well that at times an OK decision right now is better than the perfect decision never.
      Knowledge: I have the experience and knowledge in tactics, techniques and procedures to effectively maneuver a team of individuals through a critical incident.
      Loyalty: I am loyal to my team mates and try to remember that I ultimately work for them.

Michael Welch
      Participant

My greatest leadership strengths are integrity, humbleness, and the ability to see the strategic picture. While I never claim to be perfect, I always strive to do the right thing. When I make a mistake, I am humble enough to acknowledge the error and smart enough not to make that mistake again.
      I also don’t let ego get in the way of learning. If I am not an expert at something, I will defer to the person with expert the power. This is especially true as the commander of a SWAT team. I know the Team Leaders and Sergeants are closer to the action and more versed in the best tactics for a particular objective. When planning a mission, I allow them to develop the plan and I only ask questions when I need clarification.
      I feel my job is to support the team on a more strategic level. I ensure they have the best equipment and training we can afford. Usually this means forcing a member of the executive staff into financial submission (of course I’m not always successful). I strive to build relationships with surrounding SWAT teams, in order to share training and experience. I am also on a constant path of learning and trying to improve this craft called leadership.

Travis Kreun
      Participant

I feel one of my leadership strengths is in my accountability to self and others, as well as holding others on my team accountable. I find that I, and to a great degree my team, work best within established parameters and accountability helps establish those parameters on a fundamental basis. I have also come to find my flexibility is one of my greatest strengths, having the ability to shift and change based upon the mission or goals. Flexibility is essential not only in the tactical environment, but also in the administrative environment of the team as it seems that in law enforcement the target is constantly moving. Also, as the team grows in competence and capability, flexibility is required to ensure the efficient use of talent and resources.

Tate Kindschuh
      Participant

I have been on my tactical team for nine years and I have been the team leader now for the last two years. I, like many of you, am a visionary. I am always looking towards the future to see how I can better myself as well as my department. One example would be attending this academy. This was not mandatory for me but I wanted to challenge myself and continue learning and growing as a leader.
      Another great trait I have as a leader is my ability to be open minded. I do not get stuck doing things a certain way because it’s “how we have always done it”. I looked into new ideas and follow the “best practices” of our field. I also hold myself accountable. If I make a mistake, I own up to it and I learn from it the best way that I can.

Nick Godwin
        Participant

Tate,

Striving to make yourself better is a strength I am totally behind. I believe it is one of many great ways to lead by example. Sitting back, believing you know it all is the easiest way to get passed. Having the courage to admit when we make mistakes goes a long way to developing and improving relationships with those you are leading. No one likes know it all and even worst is when ego won’t admit when we are wrong. Nice points.

Joshua Crews
      Participant

I hate these types of questions. I would much rather talk about my weaknesses, as those are easier to identify. If I have to identify what I believe my strengths are, I would have to say passion. The problem is, it can also be one of my weaknesses as well. I love people, I love helping people and being asked to help. I love my job, I have loved every aspect of my job from the beginning. This is the only job I ever wanted to do and I have exceeded any expectations of advancement that I ever had. My passion for people and my job has made it natural for me to want to be the best at whatever task or assignment I do. With that said, it is easy for me to lead from the front. I will not ask my people to do a job that I have not done or am not willing to do. My passion to be the best version of myself for my people is the reason why I’m in this command academy. As I stated earlier, I have to keep that passion in check, but it can be my greatest strength if managed wisely.

John Hesseling
        Participant

In my growth as a leader, it is easy to lead from the front. It is much harder to lead from the rear. There is a profound difference, and it is a progressive change. Leading from the rear requires trust in those still in the “front” and to invest in these members. When we “lead”, there needs to be an emphasis on training people to take our place. It is often termed as working yourself out of a job. I too have a passion for people and to be the best I can be, but in our role we need to keep ourselves sharp, but we need to also start making the development of our people a priority. Keep growing and doing not just good things, but the best things!

mmJeremy Hyle
      Participant

I feel that my greatest strength is motivating others, especially as it applies to SWAT Team Leader. You can be the best tactician or the smartest Team Leader, but if you can’t motivate the team to act, you will achieve nothing. I have worked hard to keep my finger on the pulse of the team and make decisions to keep them engaged and motivated. This is especially important as we are very quiet right now and have been banned from training from our administrations.

John Hesseling
        Participant

In my growth as a leader, it is easy to lead from the front. It is much harder to lead from the rear. There is a profound difference, and it is a progressive change. Leading from the rear requires trust in those still in the “front” and to invest in these members. When we “lead”, there needs to be an emphasis on training people to take our place. It is often termed as working yourself out of a job. I too have a passion for people and to be the best I can be, but in our role we need to keep ourselves sharp, but we need to also start making the development of our people a priority. Keep growing and doing not just good things, but the best things!

Jerrod Olson
      Participant

I think my greatest strength in leadership is leading by example and showing interest in objective completion. It appears a lot of the people I work with trust and respect my decisions because of the path I have chose to walk. Putting in the work and doing everything you can before calling it builds great character. People see that and associate you as a person who gets things done. Not only do people see this, I also see people starting to do the things I do to help better their careers.

Travis Topolski
      Participant

My greatest leadership quality is my ability to have my attitude, positivity, and sense of calm in the chaos replicated by those around me. A leader’s behavior is contagious and the unit he/she is charged with leading will take on a large portion of the leader’s personality. Even as trained officers and operators, people have an inherent biological response to high-stress situations. Having the ability to remain calm, provide clear, concise tasks, and maintain composure will ripple throughout everyone present during this significant event. The visible sense of calm that starts to reappear in everyone allows them to fight through the biological stress response, refocus, and make the best decisions possible.

John Hesseling
      Participant

I am a believer in the principal of leading by example, and I feel this is my greatest leadership strength. I strive to be the first person to training, the last one to leave, to put in more time than anyone else, to know what I’m presenting and be able to execute when needed. I feel that this builds leadership capital. And never be afraid to push a broom with/for the guys or complete a menial task. Know how to do a job ahead and two behind.

mmBuck Rogers
        Keymaster

I agree John, to lead by example means leaders eat last and put in all the hard work. Including picking up brass and sweeping floors.

Nick Godwin
      Participant

Leadership strengths I try to strive for are being consistent and fair along with having a desire to make myself and those around me better. Being fair to those you are trying to lead helps foster positive relationships. If the subordinates are to busy being mad at me, they won’t be serving the community or keeping themselves safe to their fullest protentional. I am continually looking for training opportunities in order to better myself in this profession. I try to share the aspects that I learn with others in order to help them improve themselves if they so desire. I also try to pickup new ideas and techniques that others learn and are willing to share. Learning and improving is a constant process that should never stop in my mind.

Colin Mulacek
      Participant

I believe my greatest leadership strength is knowing my weaknesses, and owning my mistakes. I think all too often people in leadership positions think they have all the answers. I recognize that I do not have all the answers and that there is always something to learn and that you can learn from anyone. There are people on the team that have knowledge and experience that I do not have due to my career path and my experience. Therefore it is important to learn from those that have different experiences and knowledge. The other strength I believe I possess is I will take the blame for mistakes my team makes. It ultimately comes down to me as a leader if my team does not perform. I am the one that failed to properly plan or prepare them for that mission.

Francis Rego
      Participant

My greatest strength is my determination. Once I convince myself that something is worth doing, I will not settle for being 2nd best or delivering a product that is not top notch. As a SWAT Commander, my determination over the last 4 years has propelled our Unit to receive Tier One level equipment and training through my grant submissions, understanding the fiscal process, and shear perseverance to ensure that my Unit would be ready for any operation that we could be tasked with. This is not to say that I do not equally hold truth and accountability as several of my strengths as well.

Edward Leon
      Participant

Attempt to lead by example. First in, last out; I wont ask you to do anything I will not do myself.

Jason Reno
      Participant

My greatest leadership strengths are, being able to lead from a position of influence and not being a positional leader. One of my strengths is emotional intelligence so I get to know my people, what motivates them and what shuts them and what does not. I feel I concentrate on the big picture and not dwell on the small mistakes. I engage with those around me and build positive relationships so that I can have open and honest communication both up and down the chain of command. I also practice followership; I do not feel that I have all the answers or that my way of doing things is the only way. When time permits, I like to use decision making by committee between myself, the sergeants and even officers to come up with the best resolution. I am constantly seeking feedback from the sergeants and officers under my chain of command so that I can improve my skills.

Michael Wheeler
      Participant

Credibility, trust, and compassion. Having joined my team 16 years ago, I’ve had the opportunity to work in containment, attend a negotiations class, and earned a spot on our Entry Team before being selected to become the Entry Team Leader. Along the way, I was lucky enough to become an instructor in many SWAT topics, bringing back the knowledge to my teammates. This created the trust and credibility which allowed my to be promoted to SWAT (Lieutenant) Team Leader. My teammates know that I would never ask them to do something I wouldn’t do (or haven’t done) and that I truly care about them and their families.

Randy Jamerson
      Participant

I believe my greatest leadership strength is leading by example. I am very much first in, last out. Wearing a uniform and vest everyday, unlike the majority of our Command Staff. Getting out on calls, backing up officers on stops you come across in your travels, having conversations that need to be had, mainly those that most avoid, recognizing good work and rewarding officers. Although not required, I still show up and train with the team, to include our annual PT test and weapons qualifications. I think this shows my team and my peers, along with other officers that I am still willing to work and be part of the solution, not just hold another position.

Viewing 93 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.