Moving Home Page Forums Strategic Leadership SWAT Command Decision-Making And Leadership II: Problem Solving, Analytical Thinking & Decision Making Take a few minutes to list some good as well as bad biases that you have experienced in your past incidents.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      mmWayne Griffin
      Participant

The first good bias that I have experienced in past incidents that I want to comment on is having confidence in myself and my fellow operators when tasked with an event that we can come to a successful conclusion. If I know we have trained and prepared for an event, I have confidence that we will get the job done correct and in a safe manner. I am a little bias when it comes to my guys being chosen to lead an event not SWAT related or asked to conduct department wide training. I am confident that the end result will be one of a high standard.

A few bad biases that I have experienced in past incidents are if the team is unprepared or the lack of proper use of training time, and still expecting a good result in an incident.

Anthony Kies
      Participant

Good Biases:
      Knowing that this is the team which was handed to me, I in turn keep moral as high as I can and tend to believe that there 100% teamwork in all we do.

Bad Biases:
      Same as above only I believe that the team doesn’t have problems with personality as we are adults and should have this figured out by now. My ignorance is what leads to this bias and in turn sometimes puts me behind the 8 ball when dealing with a problem because I chose not to see one.

Good Bias:
      This mission is simple so just do what you train to do and there is nothing to this we have done this several times.

Bad Bias:
      Me the (Commander)… Lets do a limited penetration on the C side of the residence on the back door and since we are short entry guys we will use a few Snipers to take control on this team and make this happen. The fail is that fact that I didn’t train the snipers to complete this type of a mission and I had a blue on blue issue that could have went bad! My assumption that when I asked if all were understanding of this they said yes, only to find out they didn’t want to be embarrassed and they really didn’t know.

Anthony Kies

Jeffrey Brown
      Participant

There are many biases that we may not even notice until we are educated in the way that they may affect us during tactical operations. The old this is the way we have always done it and convergent thinking may trick us into believing what we believe. I have had determined suspects take an unbelievable amount of punishment from a gas deployment. The assumption that less-lethal options will work on a suspect. The assumption that a suspect is shot will stop resisting. When I assumed a breach would be successful it may have failed. Depending on amour for an operation until it has a mechanical failure or gets stuck on an operation. We assume when we tap the team out that enough operators will shoe up to safely complete a mission. These are all biases I have found when planning operations.

mmJacob Taylor
      Participant

Some negative biases in my experience have usually been based on assuming what the suspect will or won’t due. I have learned, over time, to avoid assuming these things and plan for a number of responses as time allows. Also in training sometimes it is easy to get caught up in thinking that everyone is on the same page. Understanding your people and knowing that some guys won’t tell you when they’re struggling with a tactic or policy is key to bringing everyone along together.
      On the positive side, I think giving guys the ability to make decisions and have input based on their past credibility has helped in all areas of teamwork. I am definitely biased when it comes to my officers.

Jon Thompson
      Participant

A bad bias I’ve had in the past is to expect suspects to behave in a particular manner because that is the “normal response” in similar situations. I learned very early in my career that the suspect who might be “just some drunk” is quite often the most dangerous offender, simply due to our complacency.

A good bias is recognizing the possibility of the above negative bias and taking steps beforehand to rectify that before it becomes an issue.

mmChris Eklund
      Participant

A good bias is my choice of operators for missions based on what I have seen from their performance in training and operations. Good performance in training creates a bias to suggest I can count on that person in the operation as well as in the future based on previous operations.
      A bad related bias is when an operator has not reached the performance I have come to expect after a period of time in training and thus reducing their operational experience. I need to understand some may take longer to be able to perform to expectations than other.

Thomas Carroll
      Participant

A good bias is that I believe every operator has something to offer. I try not to minimize the contribution of any operator and I solicit their opinions and concerns. Many times a point of view was expressed that I had not considered.

A bad bias is I assume everyone understands what I am talking about when I use military terminology. There were times I wouldn’t find out until an AAR that participants of the mission did not understand the terms that I used. I have learned to confirm my terms as I speak and check for understanding more often by requiring back briefs.

Jesse Laintz
      Participant

Take a few minutes to list some good as well as bad biases that you have experienced in your past incidents.

When it comes to a bias or a lack of a neutral point of view or a tendency to lean in a certain direction, either in favor of or against a particular thing I have few that come to mind.

The first bad bias that I have is that of technology. I have historically not been a fan of technology because it always seems to fail when you need it the most. How many times have your coms failed, the drone battery dies when you need it most, or the robot gets stuck and you are now on a robot rescue mission? Because of this, I may not want to use it as often as I should and I try my best to remember that technology is keeping our people safe.

The first good bias that comes to mind, others may think that it is bad, is that of the operators that we have trained and their ability as patrol offices. I think that our SWAT operators are better street cops because of what we have taught them and the standards that we hold them to.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.