Moving Home Page Forums Operational Leadership SWAT Command Decision-Making And Leadership I: SWAT Personnel Recruitment Do you think gaining interest due to recruitment will get less committed team members? If so, why?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      mmWayne Griffin
      Participant

I do not think you will get less committed team members. I believe that an officer that has made they decision to join a tactical team will come with a high level of commitment, motivation, and energy. At my department, officers are offered very little “incentives” once becoming a part of the tactical team. These officers know this prior to joining the tactical team, and still show great interest.

mmDrew Leblanc
      Participant

I do not think it will get less committed members, but it could deter people from joining. I think recruitment as in anything is how you pitch it, but in SWAT I believe it should be the honest truth about what you are getting yourself into. The more they know about SWAT the more informed decisions they can make about the complexities it takes to be a good SWAT operator. As a commander any vetting tool you can use to find good “future” operators will be the key to future success.

Jeffrey Brown
      Participant

I don’t believe you will get less committed officers as long as you are clear what your expectations are for possible candidates. make the standards and expectations clear followed by a vigorous selection process should weed out less committed candidates. Follow this with the attitude that selection never ends will set the tone for officers joining the program.

Randy Pollard
      Participant

I don’t think so. Commitment to the team is developed. Trust is not automatic. I have seen teams throughout my career where members had commitment issues. My football coach called these people “jersey toaters”. Your commitment comes from the trust developed in the operators around you. It cannot be forced.

mmJacob Taylor
      Participant

No. I think if recruiting is done right, you get better team members and a higher quality candidate. This should mean that as training and development continues, the retention rate should increase over time.

Anthony Kies
      Participant

Gaining interest when recruiting officers may be the only way that they learn anything out about the team. Especially officers who have only been on for 3-4 years sometimes don’t even think that they can apply for the position or even at times with older officers feel a bit less qualified. I do believe that you will get committed team members when you recruit. I believe that the younger generations are looking for a bit more hands on education and explanation. Lets face it this is true in most anything they do. This doesn’t make them less committed, but yet more calculated on their decision.

mmChris Eklund
      Participant

I don’t necessarily think it will draw less committed members particularly if they are given as much detail about the expectations of the team in advance. In fact by doing this, it may keep members who will be less committed away from the process if it seems to be too much to take on.

Max Yakovlev
      Participant

I agree with others. I dont think you will get less committed team members but what you might get is a person that wants the job for selfish reason. That person might feel that by being on SWAT can enhance their carrier in the future.

Adam Bradford
      Participant

I do not think the members will be less committed. As experienced Operators, if we are actively recruiting, we will search for a certain type of Officer. Through the indoc process, an Officer will quickly discover whether or not the SWAT team is a good fit for them. So through the selection process, we can filter out those who would not be committed. I believe recruitment will produce a more committed Officer.

Jon Thompson
      Participant

I don’t think so, as most people who try out for a team have generally a good idea what they may be getting themselves in to. Most officers in this position are committed and really want to be a part of a team, and are interested in putting forth the real effort to maintain that status. If this is an issue, it may be with younger officers who haven’t matured yet in their careers and have an unrealistic view of what SWAT is and does….

Jesse Laintz
      Participant

Recruitment can have a negative impact on getting less committed team members if it is done incorrectly. There is nothing wrong with active team members advertising for the team and reaching out to other officers. This allows for those that may be interested to ask questions and gain knowledge on the team and how they operate. This is especially true for newer employees in the department. This can cause a negative impact is if the recruitment is the “good ole’ boy” system and the recruitment is telling people to come and be on the team instead of earning a spot on the team. When one is given something instead of earning it, there is a possibility of less commitment.

mmShawn Wilson
      Participant

No. Assessment and Selection is orientated to weed out those that are not committed. High morale will generate higher numbers of personnel wanting to associate with SWAT. That is why “the good ole boy) network way of bringing personnel onto the team is negligent. Accurate, unbiased Assessment and Selection are vital in the future successful operations of a SWAT Team.

Thomas Carroll
      Participant

No. If you select a qualified candidate you can train them to the standard regardless of how they became interested. They will soon become a product of their environment so a good mentoring program is required to instill the value of commitment.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.