Moving Home Page Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

Randy Jamerson
Participant

It is my opinion that the most common leadership problem in law enforcement is communication. After reading many of the above post I see that I am not alone. When I was a Sergeant and First Sergeant assigned to our Patrol Division I saw first hand how other supervisors allowed things to occur on their squads. These issues were usually minor but certainly were noticed by the troops. We were all given the same directives or followed the same policies so why were there so many differences. Once I was promoted to Lieutenant and sat in weekly command meetings I quickly saw how messages were not being pushed down, or if they were they were they were diluted or even changed completely. To hear the troops complain that no one from the top cares or communicates is infuriating because the message is there, it is just not being communicated.