NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

Joshua Crews
Participant

Communication: I have been in law enforcement for 23 years now and throughout my career, I have found that communication errors are the most common problems in law enforcement leadership. Communication is linked to virtually everything a leader does and so many of us are not good at it. This is one of my biggest weaknesses and I consciously work on it constantly. The Bible speaks extensively about the power of our speech and the effects we have on others through our words. This is why it is so important that we are slow to speak and guard our words when we use them. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that leaders shouldn’t speak, but that they have to choose their words wisely. It is important that our leaders communicate vision, praise, support, responsibility, accountability, and love for those they serve. Some of my best and worst memories of the best and worst leaders I have worked for stem from communication. If we are going to be successful as leaders, we have to be aware of that fact and know that our words will be remembered by our subordinates.