NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

David Boisclair
Participant

The most common leadership problems could be a book in itself. I believe one of the problems in law enforcement today is understanding and knowing how to bridge the generational gap among our Administrative Branch (usually our senior people) and our boots on the ground, which results in diminished communication. The older generation often believes that people are on a need to know basis, and the younger generation wants to know everything including why certain decisions are being made.

Another issue I feel can be related to a book I have been reading, “Extreme Ownership.” People want the titles and higher pay that accompany leadership positions, but they don’t want to step up and assume the responsibilities of making a decision and understanding that we all make mistakes. When we do make mistakes we need to own it, no one is perfect.