NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Do You Have to hold a Title to Take a Leadership Position? Reply To: Do You Have to hold a Title to Take a Leadership Position?

David Boisclair
Participant

I do not believe you have to hold a title to take a leadership position. Titles are given, being a leader is earned. Not all individuals with titles will ever be leaders, at most they may be a boss. In my 19 years, I have been on numerous scenes that the person everyone was looking to follow was a slick sleeve deputy. In fact one incident when I was a watch commander, I relied on one of my deputies to help run a barricaded suspect incident. It had nothing to do with titles, it was the fact I knew his skills and abilities were greater than any supervisor on scene at the time. However, I do believe that titles can help when dealing with outside agencies. When one is no familiar with another skills and abilities, we tend to assume someone with rank has the skills since he/she is in that position, though many times is not the case.