NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

mmBrian Behrend
Participant

The most common leadership problem in law enforcement that I have observed is the lack of true leadership. Often times the individuals that make leadership level positions are individuals who have played the game correctly but never really were cops. They are afraid to back their officers and won’t stand up for what is right. I believe that the culture of the organization makes this acceptable. In the law enforcement community, we don’t do a great job of mentoring future leaders. When I was in the U.S. Army the mentoring of your soldiers was a direct reflection of your leadership ability. I believe that to many leaders in the LE community are afraid that the guy under them might be better then them. We need to do a better job of molding and mentoring our future leaders. To those of us taking this course, I believe it falls on us to make a difference.