NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

Bill Elbert
Participant

I feel one of the most common leadership problems is the failure for many supervisors and managers to actually embrace the values they have learned through leadership training. I have seen staff return from leadership courses such as SLI, Command College, or National Academy only to carry on their normal patterns and paradigms while failing to live the leadership values espoused in their courses. Notions such as transparency, inspiring others, consistency, and selflessness are left at the classroom door. Developing leadership skills is a daily journey of trial and error with successes and failures, but those who strive to continue to work on self development on a personal and professional level seem to make the best leaders in my experience. I am at a loss to understand why those who get the most knowledge about such tenets are the same ones who ignore them.