NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

mmAaron Springer
Participant

Good morning Vincent,

I agree that SM creates issues for LE, especially in the context of response to critical incidents, and information being released/broadcast that could be detrimental to the resolution of the incident. I consider the SM phenomenon not only a leadership challenge, but an opportunity for LE leaders to more quickly, accurately, and transparently connect with the community. The traditional LE response of no comment, or waiting for a traditional press conference or press release is no longer valid in an environment wherein information can be spread instantly. LE leaders should take advantage of those same SM outlets to get information out to the public just as quickly as individual users or the traditional media. This gives LE leaders an opportunity, like I mentioned, to connect more quickly with the community, and ensure the correct information is being released, as opposed to biased or slanted views of LE or the incident.