NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

Matthew Self
Participant

I definitely agree with your observation, “anyone can and will apply to become a supervisor.” It appears that this is a truth within our entire society. The people who appear to make the most money, have the most prestige, and the most respect are all supervisors. I’m not necessarily saying these rewards are undeserved, but it appears that many people are more concerned with racing to the top of an organization then becoming skilled at their craft.

With this in mind, I agree that leaders should keenly focus and modify their process of selecting who specifically should become a supervisor. If you know that the success of your organization will depend truly qualified supervisors, but you also know that everyone will apply even if they aren’t truly qualified, then you need to make sure that your promotion process is finely tuned to be successful.