NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

mmBrandon Ince
Participant

A common problem that I have seen in law enforcement is that dynamic of leaders vs. managers. In my experience, departments say that want leaders, but don’t establish a system or standards to develop their people as such. They tend to create (promote) mangers and not leaders. You can often clearly see the difference in overall performance of officers who are supervised by a leader vs. a manger. The one supervised by a leader tend to be more disciplined, motivated, and confident in their superiors ability to lead them. The latter groups tend to be the ones who find themselves in problems. Another problem I see is the disconnect between upper command staff and the rank and file. This sentiment was voiced a few times in prior post. The “politics” of law enforcement are not always in tune with what is actually occurring within a department or the community it servers.