NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Do You Have to hold a Title to Take a Leadership Position? Reply To: Do You Have to hold a Title to Take a Leadership Position?

mmJake Stoll
Participant

Obviously we are all in agreement here. I personally take great pride in the fact that I hold the rank of Officer, and have for 20 years. I like being the example that this is the case. While it does provide some logistical challenges as far as job tasks and duties go, I think I have a more profound influence on the agency. There are no ulterior motives. No trying to set myself up for promotion. I have nothing to gain from the additional leadership tasks and roles I take on, except that it is what I believe to be right and the best course of action for my agency. Other people see that and tend to follow. There is a deeper level of trust and buy-in. Some administrators do not like this, as it may weaken their “authority”. It is easier to manage an agency when they follow an organizational chart without any outliers.