NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

Lance Bolinger
Participant

The most common Leadership Problem I see in Law Enforcement today is failure to take risks to deter criminal activity. My agency like many has adopted a strict pursuit policy that requires our officers to only pursue for violent felonies, and even then there are numerous restrictions being placed on them. This has resulted in an increased number of suspects fleeing from our officers in vehicles. The safe play is to not pursue these suspects as the police leaders will never be held accountable for taking no action. On the opposite end, if you decide to allow your officers to pursue these suspects, and the incident ends up bad it falls directly on the leaders for allowing the pursuit to continue. Therefore, police leaders have been conditioning themselves into a role of non-action, and I think this goes against the basic foundation of being a police officer.