NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

mmAaron Springer
Participant

I was pleased to read through so many thoughtful and insightful responses. I believe one of the most critical issues in LE today is founded in a lack of 360 degree accountability. In so much as defining standards and expectations, and holding people accountable to the standard despite personal relationships or lack of courage. Followers must be accountable to leaders, and leaders to followers based on the standard and defined expectations. Once a lower standard is accepted, by either; leader or follower, it becomes the new standard, and that is not acceptable. I think it is important to note, often times the leader displays behavior showing he/she is not held to the same standard as the subordinate follower. This has an incredible negative effect on morale, which will lead to an inability to accomplish the mission.

V/R,
Aaron