NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Do You Have to hold a Title to Take a Leadership Position? Reply To: Do You Have to hold a Title to Take a Leadership Position?

Sean Wallace
Participant

When I think of informal leaders, I think of the backbone of the team. The backbone of the team is usually an individual or individuals whom are the guys whom are looked to as leaders within the team or organization. They are the individuals that have been there done that. They have the required knowledge, skills, and abilities and then some. These individuals are not necessarily the senior guys either. These are the individuals that have the pulse of the team. Their authority comes from the team members themselves, not from the organization. These individuals are vitally important to the success of the mission and the organization. As a formal leader, it is my belief, you must embrace the informal leaders if you want to be a successful leader. While they don’t hold an official title, they have a great deal of influence and power within the organization.