NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

Adam McCambridge
Participant

After reading all of the comments and comparing them to my own experience it seems there are leadership deficiencies in 3 major areas: Communication, Trust, and Action. Every leadership problem described (and that I observe/experience in my agency) can be placed under one of these three broad categories. It also appears a deficiency in one category has a negative impact on the others – they are all interrelated. As one example (and there are an infinite number), if my chain of command fails to effectively communicate their intent, their resulting actions (or lack of) are often misinterpreted which results in a lack of trust by those impacted by the decisions.

Another example starting at one of the other categories: A supervisor fails to hold people accountable for their actions (Action) because they perceive a lack of support by the administration (Communication) which results in the breakdown of discipline and respect for the chain of command (Trust).