NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

mmJuan Gonzalez
Participant

In my point of view, the most common leadership problem in law enforcement is consistency. Their is no consistency in management styles or leadership styles. By the nature of everyones training background (training institutes) and experience (part of the country) , each style is different, eventhough the concepts are the same. Therefore, it breeds inconsistency in police department operations. The most common complaint of personnel in most departments is that leaders (POLICE CHIEFS) are not consistent in disciplinary actions, promotions, assignments, best practices, protocols, termninations and hirings. I believe that we can minimize the leadership problems in law enforcement by conducting self assessments of our department operations regarding the above issues.I think this applies to our swat teams as well. Their needs to be consistency in conducting operations in order for them to be successfull.