NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

mmRick Ryan
Participant

This discussion has amplified the patterns inherent in our profession. I found early on as young ambitious officer that the desire to “climb the ranks” had to be tempered by the expertise, or better explained, command of the various skills needed to not just complete a mission, but to complete it well. I found through thoughtful mentoring that the bonafides that comes with experience, reputation, and historical performance is sometimes as important as actual ability. Young inexperienced officers/agents in leadership roles often times are sabotaged by their perceived lack of experience. This advice caused me to be patient and search out learning opportunities which would strengthen the foundation of my experience and qualify me for more challenging assignments. It takes patience, which is sometimes an obstacle for ambition, but I believe it pays dividends in the long run.