NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement. Reply To: Discuss the Most Common leadership Problems in Law Enforcement.

mmDerrick Coleman
Participant

Accountability. Accountability and moral courage. Often I have wondered how could some of the individuals in leadership position do some of the things I have witnessed or simply fail to do anything. I think that some of the attention definitely should be on the individual, however at times I feel its the system as well. Systems that breed complacency. Sometimes it seems that the thought or the systems, allows for people in leadership levels to do less, and with that comes less accountability. As a leader your responsibility is greater, and the accountability should be also. In our profession, you can’t hang your hat solely on what you have done 10 years ago. I think reevaluating the effectiveness of leadership with more frequency, and the individual leader recognizing that they are responsible for others, it’s not about you and if you no longer can do the job, then this is where the moral courage comes into play.