NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership What are Your Greatest Leadership Strengths? Reply To: What are Your Greatest Leadership Strengths?

Jesse Laintz
Participant

For me it is always a little difficult to talk about one’s own leadership abilities in a favorable light. It just feels…self centered and wrong, but here we go. With this I will provide two characteristics that I believe I have when it comes to my leadership ability.

The two characteristics that I think provide my great leadership strengths are persistence and determination. These two characteristics are portrayed in a quote by our 30th President Calvin
Coolidge;

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
– Calvin Coolidge

Persistence and determination are two key characteristics of great leaders, and they are both what I strive to achieve daily. To be persistent it requires determination and an ideology of no matter what happens one must adhere to your principles and goals. Persistence is the ability to hold on or to get back up after we have been knocked down and it is essential for us to achieve any real success. We need to know that there will failures along the way and its how we deal with these failures that will determine the outcome of any endeavor that we undertake. To succeed in leadership one must work hard and continually hone their fourteen Marine Corps leadership characteristics (JJDIDTIEBUCKLE) to ensure both their team and themselves succeed. One must always find a way to motivate successful teamwork and positive interaction.