NTOA Forums Tactical Leadership General Leadership Do You Have to hold a Title to Take a Leadership Position? Reply To: Do You Have to hold a Title to Take a Leadership Position?

David Allen
Participant

This is a question that I’m answering on my Capstone Research project. I strongly believe that you do not have to have title to be a leader. Every member of a SWAT team should be trained to be leader not only on the team but at their agency. When situations turn bad quickly members of SWAT are called upon to manage a scene either from a command post or operationally in order to restore some form of control until everyone else arrives. For example, I took great pride when a Watch Commander reached out to me and told me that one of my younger guys (Deputy Sheriff) was paramount to resolving an armed barricaded suspect situation quickly. The Watch Commander asked his advice during the situation and the suspect was taken into custody and all patrons evacuated at a hotel without further incident prior to our arrival.